Hello sunshines! So I said I would share some recipes with you to keep you busy at home while in isolation and social distancing. I don't know about you but it is HARD keeping busy at home, especially when you have already cleaned the house or you don't want to haha.
This one is my go-to muffins recipe and I sell them at all my markets! So for those who have bought one before, now you can make it at home!! It is seriously soooo easy with really simply ingredients and it can be adapted in many ways depending on what flavour combinations you like! I have written some notes at the end of the recipe, so make sure you read that too for some different flavours, substitutions and healthier alternative ingredients. I ALWAYS use scales when I measure my ingredients as I find it much quicker, less clean up and more accurate. I recommend you use scales however I have included the cup measurements as well for those who don't have access to scales. Note, they are a but obscure because its hard to convert grams to cups!
I got my hands on this recipe when I use to work with the lovely Gabby at the Caterer's Kitchen in Balwyn North. Shout out to Gab.. Best boss ever!!
In the recipe below I have bolded the ingredients which you can sub out for different flavours (listed in the notes section after the recipe).
This recipe makes 9 large passionfruit/coconut & mixed berry muffins (my favourite flavour combo):
- 360g (2.8cups) self raising flour
- 40g (1/4 cup) cornflour
- 130 (0.8 cup) brown sugar
- 40g (1/2cup) desiccated coconut
- 400g frozen mixed berries
- 250g (1 cup) milk (any type)
- 90g (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 100g egg (2 eggs)
- 80g (1/3 cup) passionfruit - fresh or syrup
Preheat oven to 150degrees fan forced.
1. Add all dry ingredients into a bowl of an electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix for a few seconds to combine. (If you don't have a stand mixer just put them into a big bowl and use a spatula to mix)
2. Add ALL wet ingredients together into another bowl, and then pour into the dry ingredients.
3. Mix on the lowest speed of the stand mixer until JUST combined (usually around 20 seconds). Or mix slowly with your spatula. You don't want to mix it too much because the berries will break down into mush. Make sure you scrape the sides/bottom of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are combined and there aren't any flour chunks.
4. Place 9 x large muffin lines on top of 9 x cupcake holes of a cupcake tray.
5. Add 3 x spoon fulls of muffin mix into each liner. I use a ice-cream scoop as I find it much easier and quicker. I also put one scoop in each liner first and keep going until there are 3 in each, as it means that the berries are somewhat evenly dispersed between muffins and not just in the first few muffins.
6. Bake for approximately 40minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Increase temperature to 180 degrees and change oven setting to grill. Bake for an extra 4 minutes so the top of the muffins go golden.
8. Allow the muffins to cool in the cupcake tin for 10minutes before putting them on a cooling rack. Serve as desired
Best eaten on the day of baking but can store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Yay!!! I hope you love the recipe as much as I do!
Make sure you read the notes below for some extra tips and tricks!
- If you have no self-raising flour substitute it with normal flour and add 5tsp baking powder
- Substitute the brown sugar with any dry sugar alternatives such as: caster sugar, coconut sugar etc.
- If you have no cornflour, just add the same quantity in flour. (E.g. 40g cornflour, add 40g of extra self raising flour instead)
- Vegetable oil can also be substituted with: olive oil, peanut oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil (melted)
- Milk can include any milk of your choice!
- In the photo above, I piped some vanilla buttercream on top and then decorated with fresh strawberries and raspberry compote.
- Banana/dark chocolate: add 100g mashed banana (usually around 1), + 200g dark chocolate chips
- Passionfruit: add 100g passionfruit puree
- Passionfruit, mixed berry, coconut: add 100g passionfruit puree, 50g desiccated coconut & 400g mixed berries
- Blueberry + raspberry /white chocolate: add 200g white chocolate chips, + 125g frozen blueberries, 125g frozen raspberries
- Mixed berries: add 400g mixed berries
- Banana, coconut & lime (or lemon): add zest from 2 limes or lemons, 100g mashed banana & 50g desiccated coconut
Love, Tanya x